Course Name: Autism and Communication
Date : Thursday, 22nd November 2018
or Tuesday, 5th March 2019
Time: 7-9 pm
- recognising communication behaviours
- teaching expressive communication : how to ask for things using pictures (and Apps) How to identify the interests of the learner and use those to set up a visual requesting system (and where to learn about augmentative and alternative communication)
- Supporting receptive communication : understanding what’s going on, what they need to do, what’s happening now and next, using picture schedules (and Apps)
- Creating structured choices to suit the environment while giving the learner a sense of control, using pictures (and Apps)
- Breaking down a task into steps that help you to support the learner with visuals and fade that support as they become more independent.
- Making a visual “rule book” or social Story to give a sense of structure and reduce anxiety, while keeping them on task.
- Making every task or activity rewarding, literally! Using visual reward systems that pay off for everyone.