Course Name: Autism and Communication
Location: Adam and Friends
Unit 10b 4 Stadium Business Park
This training course will cover:
Using Visuals to support people with Autism in the home and in educational settings.
Participants will learn how to prompt and develop Independent Communication in People with Autism while reducing frustration and replacing inappropriate behaviour.
- recognising communication behaviours
- teaching expressive communication : how to ask for things using pictures (and Apps) How to identify the interests of the learner and use those to set up a visual requesting system (and where to learn about augmentative and alternative communication)
- Supporting receptive communication : understanding what’s going on, what they need to do, what’s happening now and next, using picture schedules (and Apps)
- Creating structured choices to suit the environment while giving the learner a sense of control, using pictures (and Apps)
- Breaking down a task into steps that help you to support the learner with visuals and fade that support as they become more independent.
- Making a visual “rule book” or social Story to give a sense of structure and reduce anxiety, while keeping them on task.
- Making every task or activity rewarding, literally! Using visual reward systems that pay off for everyone.